Do you feel like green smoothies were a massive trend and now they’re just another health food? I’m still a green smoothie lover through and through. Yes, I’ve had my fair share of terrible green smoothies so I thought I would share some secrets to perfecting your own green smoothie recipes as well as my all time favorite recipes!
Are green smoothies actually good for you?
Yes, yes, yesssss! Sure, some green smoothies are better than others but honestly, I’m sick of the messaging that fruit is bad for you or that smoothies aren’t good for you. When you’re packing a bunch of vegetables and fruit into a drink you’re getting a ton of nutrients so sorry haters, I’m on the green smoothie train and I’m not getting off.
What Greens to Use in a Green Smoothie
If you’re new to green smoothies, I recommend you start with certain greens so it doesn’t taste like you’re drinking a garden… unless you like that! Spinach is a super mild green that pairs well with almost any flavor. Picky eaters or taste testers? Try spinach with them. Guaranteed to pass! If you’re feeling more brave you can start introducing different greens – kale, swiss chard, arugula – experiment with different leafy greens!
Pro tip: blend your greens and liquid first before adding additional ingredients to your smoothie. This will make sure all of the greens are well blended and you aren’t left with small bits that you have to chew!
The Best Ingredients to Add to a Smoothie
Besides the base of greens, you obviously need more ingredients otherwise you’ll just be eating a plain, blended salad. Here are some fun ingredients to try adding to your smoothie:
- Banana – a staple in almost every smoothie I make! It gives the perfect hint of sweet and creaminess. Freeze your banana ahead of time for a chilled smoothie.
- Frozen zucchini – sounds weird, I know but frozen zucchini makes smoothies suuuuuper creamy! If you aren’t a banana fan, try adding zucchini to make your smoothies more creamy and less juice-y.
- Avocado – add healthy fats and again, tons of creaminess to your smoothie.
- Fresh herbs – if you haven’t tried adding fresh herbs to your smoothie, promise me you will! I loooove adding fresh basil or mint to my smoothies. Mmm!
- Nut butters – add in nut butter for an obvious added nutty taste but also fiber, fat and protein!
- Superfoods – there are tons of powders and seeds that you can add to really up the nutrition content of your smoothie. Flaxseed, chia seeds, maca powder, bee pollen, spirulina… the list is endless!
- Protein powder – to make your smoothie a complete meal, I recommend adding in protein powder. This is the key ingredient to keeping you fuller, longer.
10 Green Smoothie Recipes
Matcha Mint Coconut Smoothie Bowl – Craving a healthy and refreshing breakfast? This Matcha Mint Smoothie bowl is packed full of healthy ingredients like matcha, spinach, fresh mint and coconut milk for a deliciously filling breakfast recipe.
Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie – Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!
Almond Chai Green Smoothie – Get your veggies first thing in the morning with this vegan Almond Chai Green Smoothie. The perfect breakfast recipe to kickstart your day that’s protein-packed and ready in minutes.
Pineapple Mojito Green Smoothie – A tropical twist on a classic mojito, this Pineapple Mojito Green Smoothie is packed full of fresh fruits and veggies with a refreshing mint flavor. You’re going to want to start everyday with this healthy smoothie recipe!
Blueberry Green Smoothie Bowl – Get in your greens with this healthy and delicious Blueberry Green Smoothie Bowl recipe. Once you try eating a smoothie with a spoon, you will ditch the straw for life!
Peanut Butter Hemp Green Smoothie – This Peanut Butter Hemp Green Smoothie is jam-packed with protein and your daily dose of greens. It’s a nutritious and filling breakfast recipe to start your day.
Blueberry Superfood Smoothie – A super simple smoothie recipe that is packed with nutrients.
Kale Smoothie by Fit Foodie Finds – It’s packed with nutrient dense kale, frozen bananas and the perfect flavor punch of orange juice and fresh ginger. Whip up this green smoothie in 5 minutes and you’re off and running with a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.
Mango Almond Butter Smoothie – Start your day with this creamy and delicious Mango Almond Butter Smoothie. Made with frozen mango, banana, almond butter and milk and protein powder this smoothie will keep you full for hours! Optional: Add a cup of spinach to get your dose of greens!
Peanut Butter Green Smoothie by Eating Bird Food – The best green smoothie with frozen banana, peanut butter and baby spinach. If you’re new to green smoothies this is the perfect recipe to start with.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!