Whether you’re on a health kick or trying to get in more greens these 10 green smoothie recipes will check all of the boxes – keeping you full all morning long!
Do you feel like green smoothies were a massive trend and now they’re just another health food? I’m still a green smoothie lover through and through. I start most mornings with a green smoothie so I consider myself a pro. Even my toddler drinks them so they get the kid stamp of approval!
Yes, I’ve had my fair share of terrible green smoothies so I thought I would share some secrets to perfecting your own green smoothie recipes as well as my all time favorite healthy green smoothie recipes recipes!
Are green smoothies actually good for you?
Yes, yes, yesssss! Sure, some green smoothies are better than others but honestly, I’m sick of the messaging that fruit is bad for you or that smoothies aren’t good for you. When you’re packing a bunch of vegetables and fruit into a blender you’re getting a ton of vitamins and minerals so sorry haters, I’m on the green smoothie train and I’m not getting off.
What Greens to Use in Green Smoothies
If you’re new to green smoothies, I recommend you start with certain greens so it doesn’t taste like you’re drinking a garden… unless you like that!
Spinach is a super mild green that pairs well with almost any flavor. Picky eaters or taste testers? Try spinach with them. Guaranteed to pass!
If you’re feeling braver you can start introducing different greens – kale, swiss chard, collard greens arugula – experiment with different leafy greens! Generally the amount remains the same: 1-2 cups of greens.
Pro tip: blend your greens and liquid base first before adding additional ingredients to your smoothie. This will make sure all of the greens are well blended and you aren’t left with small bits that you have to chew!
Green Smoothie Ingredients
Besides the base of greens, you obviously need more ingredients in your green smoothies otherwise you’ll just be eating a plain, blended salad. Here are some fun ingredients to try adding to your smoothie:
- Banana – a staple in almost every smoothie I make! It gives the perfect hint of natural sweetness and creamy texture. Place your bananas in the freezer ahead of time for a chilled smoothie.
- Frozen or fresh fruit – try berries, mango, pineapple or even apples! Really any fruit combination you enjoy.
- Frozen zucchini – sounds weird, I know but frozen zucchini makes smoothies suuuuuper creamy! If you aren’t a banana fan, try adding zucchini to make your smoothies more creamy and less juice-y.
- Avocado – add healthy fats and again, tons of creaminess to your smoothie. If you freeze your avocado in advance it will add extra creaminess!
- Fresh herbs – if you haven’t tried adding fresh herbs to your smoothie, promise me you will! I loooove adding fresh basil or mint to my smoothies. Mmm!
- Nut butters – add in nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter etc…) for an obvious added nutty taste but also fiber, fat and protein!
- Superfoods – there are tons of powders and seeds that you can add to really up the nutrient content of your smoothie. Flax seed, hemp seeds chia seeds, maca powder, bee pollen, spirulina… the list is endless!
- Protein powder – to make your smoothie a complete meal, I recommend adding in protein powder. This is the key ingredient to keeping you fuller, longer.
- Liquid base – every green smoothie needs a liquid base. I prefer to use non-dairy milks like almond milk, oat milk or coconut milk but you could also get creative and use liquid like coconut water or orange juice.
10 Green Smoothie Recipes
Craving a healthy and refreshing breakfast? This Matcha Mint Smoothie bowl is packed full of healthy ingredients like matcha, spinach, fresh mint and coconut milk for a deliciously filling breakfast recipe.View Recipe
Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!View Recipe
Get your veggies first thing in the morning with this vegan Almond Chai Green Smoothie. The perfect breakfast recipe to kickstart your day that’s protein-packed and ready in minutes.View Recipe
A tropical twist on a classic mojito, this Pineapple Mojito Green Smoothie is packed full of fresh fruits and veggies with a refreshing mint flavor. You’re going to want to start everyday with this healthy smoothie recipe!View Recipe
Get in your greens with this healthy and delicious Blueberry Green Smoothie Bowl recipe. Once you try eating a smoothie with a spoon, you will ditch the straw for life!View Recipe
This Peanut Butter Hemp Green Smoothie is jam-packed with protein and your daily dose of greens. It’s a nutritious and filling breakfast recipe to start your day.View Recipe
A super simple smoothie recipe that is packed with nutrients.View Recipe
Start your day with this creamy and delicious Mango Almond Butter Smoothie. Made with frozen mango, banana, almond butter and milk and protein powder this smoothie will keep you full for hours! Optional: Add a cup of spinach to get your dose of greens!View Recipe
This smoothie from Fit Foodie Finds is packed with nutrient dense kale, frozen bananas and the perfect flavor punch of orange juice and fresh ginger. Whip up this green smoothie in 5 minutes and you’re off and running with a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.View Recipe
This smoothie from Eating Bird Food is made with frozen banana, peanut butter and baby spinach. If you’re new to green smoothies this is the perfect recipe to start with.View Recipe