round-up

Healthy Dorm Snack Ideas | No Equipment + Minimal Ingredients

September 13, 2015

A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don’t require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!

While I am well out of my college years, that doesn’t mean I don’t remember them! It’s so weird to think about now that for four years of your life you’re eating cafeteria food or takeout plus some packaged snacks if you stocked up. If you’re lucky you had a mini-fridge in your room and a microwave but beyond that… options were limited.

Living in a dorm was not my favorite. There was a communal kitchen but as a foodie, I wanted to make crazy creations and the space (and available appliances!) didn’t always allow that. SO I learned how to make quick and healthy snacks. If you’re in college and sick of eating cereal and granola bars, this round-up is for you! I’m sharing full recipes and then snack ideas that I can’t really consider recipes… like adult ants on a log. Enjoy!

Tahini Chocolate Protein Energy Balls

The perfect and easy snack that's nut-free! You will love the No-Bake Tahini Energy Balls with protein powder and chocolate chips! #nobake #snack

PB & J Superfood Energy Balls

You can have your PB&J and eat it too with these PB&J Superfood Energy Balls. Packed full of nutrition and nature-based superfoods, you will love these quick and easy bites on the go.

A Simple Charcuterie Board

The first step in adulting is knowing how to build the best charcuterie meat board. This post will teach you how and the proportions you need to nail your board on your first try!

Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

Chia Pudding – 5 Ways

No-Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Matcha Protein Bars

These Matcha Protein Bars are a healthy recipe made with a vegan cashew crust and energizing matcha frosting for a delicious snack on the run #matcha #proteinbars

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Trail Mix

Chocolate Cherry Energy Balls

Healthy Trail Mix

Nut Butter Stuffed Dates

-nut butter (I used peanut butter but any will work)
-pitted dates (medjool preferred)

Simply slice each date open like a hotdog bun and spoon a little nut butter inside. Love this simple sweet treat!

Nut Butter Stuffed Dates + A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don't require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!Avocado and Sriracha Rice Cakes

-Avocado
-Rice cakes
-Sriracha

If you’re sick of eating rice cakes… spruce them up! Top a rice cake with sliced avocado and a drizzle of Sriracha. The avocado adds healthy fats to this snack to keep you fuller, longer!

Avocado and Sriracha Rice Cakes + A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don't require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!Big Kid Ants On a Log

-celery
-nut butter (I used peanut butter but any will work)
-hemp hearts

One of my childhood favorites… upgraded! Slice a celery stalk in half. Spread nut butter down the middle and sprinkle hemp hearts on top. Health fats, fiber and protein? Check, check and check.

Big Kid Ants on a Log + A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don't require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!Avocado and Tamari Cucumber Slices

-cucumber
-avocado
-tamari (soy sauce if not gluten-free)

Stick with me on this one. Looks kind of weird but it’s so delicious! It reminds me of cheap, vegetarian sushi. Slice a cucumber, top with sliced avocado and add a few drops of tamari to each cucumber round.

Cucumber with Avocado and Tamari + A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don't require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!Peanut Butter Chocolate Stuffed Banana Boats

-banana
-peanut butter (or other nut butter)
-chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life mini chips)

Mmm a healthy sweet snack or dessert. Without slicing all the way through the banana, cut a slit in the top. Spoon a little nut butter in the slit and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. This snack doesn’t have to be pretty… just make sure you get banana, nut butter and chocolate in each bite. 🙂

Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Boats + A round-up of healthy dorm room snack ideas that don't require any equipment and can be made with 5 ingredients of less. Perfect for any health-conscious college student with limited space and budget!Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Avocados from Mexico-Canada. All opinions expressed are my own and I was compensated for my time. Thank you for supporting the awesome brands that help keep THM afloat!

Christie @ Lovely Lemon
    September 23, 2015 at 8:13 pm

I really wish I had these recipes when I was in college! I ate way too much ice cream and pizza in college. These are perfect for me now though because I need quick, healthy snacks on the go. Thanks for sharing!

September 23, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Awesome! I totally eat all of these even thought I’m not in college too!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    September 14, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I LIVED off of Cliff bars in college. I can’t look one in the eye now.

SEE YOU THIS WEEK YAYAYAYAYAYAY!! xoxo

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    September 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm

love your videos, D!

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    September 14, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Another great video! I could have certainly used these tips in my undergrad dorm room days as well! Gotta say those banana boats are my fav 🙂

Have fun in Cali girl! xo

Georgie
    September 14, 2015 at 10:45 am

These are great ideas. I absolutely HATED the dining hall food and was so excited when I could move off campus. I’m loving your videos.

September 22, 2015 at 8:17 am

Thanks girly! I was so desperate to get off campus. Me + dorms did NOT vibe!

[email protected]
    September 13, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Hey there, Davida! Great roundup of easy, dorm-room snacks. They all look super tasty! I noticed in the no-bake granola bars, you use brown rice syrup. May I ask what brand you use? I’m not used to using brown rice syrup.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    September 13, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I’d be making ALL of these all the time if I didn’t have an unlimited dining plan heh heh. I especially love how much nut butter and avocado is involved 🙂
    I MISS YOU. AHH.

September 14, 2015 at 6:51 am

Miss you!!! I’m jealous of your unlimited dining plan that actually is GOOD! Mine was horrifying. Pretty sure they shut down our cafeteria the next year haha

Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie
    September 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm

These are so great! I was a huge fan of making my own trail mix when I lived in the dorms. It was easy, cheap, and didn’t take up much space!

September 14, 2015 at 6:51 am

yup, agreed! I just made a massive bag for our camping trip but I have a feeling it’ll be gone before we hit the trails!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons
    September 13, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I wish this post existed when I was in college – so many great ideas!!!! Thanks so much for including my trail mix with all the deliciousness! <3

September 14, 2015 at 6:50 am

Of course, lovely! Thanks for letting me share it 🙂

Dale
    September 13, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Great video! You look gorg 🙂

Love,
    Dale & Dave

September 14, 2015 at 6:50 am

LOVE YOU BOTH! When is Dave making a celebrity guest appearance?!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    September 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Freshman year I kept a loaf of wheat bread in my room and would have a slice (plain, untoasted) before I set off to my morning class and then finallllyyyy to the dining hall. I felt my mother’s guilt for not having breakfast and I guess I thought the bread sufficed??

Anyways, I had no idea you’re coming to SF! I’m going to send you some of my favorite spots around here. We’ve got some awesome gfree options and so so much healthy food.

September 14, 2015 at 6:49 am

oh man I’d keep that info away from your mother haha. I’d love some options! We’re leaving for Yosemite today but will be back-and-forth between Marin and SF next Friday-Monday! Thanks so much, lovely!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    September 13, 2015 at 8:39 am

Oh these are so perfect! What a lovely round-up. My youngest sister just went off to university this year. I will share these with her 😀

September 14, 2015 at 6:47 am

Thanks girlfriend! Hopefully I can help some college kiddos out there!

1 2