Clean Beauty Healthy How-Tos Wellness

How To Make Rose water + DIY Rosewater Face Toner [Video]

July 11, 2021

Learn all of the benefits of Rose Water, including a step-by-step tutorial on how to make rosewater! Not only will you learn how to make homemade rose water, but you’ll get a DIY Rosewater Face Toner recipe too!

The maven is B-A-C-K with a little DIY Video action! Who’s excited? Just me? Welcome to my life.

Also included in my life is a fridge full of homemade kombucha, cold brew iced coffee and of course homemade rosewater. Because everyone’s fridge is stocked with various colors of the rainbow in refreshment form, right? More like an assortment of diet pop flavors, but I’d like to believe my refrigerator soulmate exists out in this great big world.

Anywho, if you’re curious you should probably watch the latest in my adventures in YouTube. We’re making homemade rosewater and I’ll show you how to make rosewater and how I like to use it in my skincare routine.

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ROSEWATER

What is Rose Water + Rosewater Benefits

Rosewater is exactly as it sounds, roses + water. It gives you all the benefits of water plus the bonus of the anti-inflammatory and hydrating advantages of rose. Plus it smells awesome.

Rosewater is used in some cuisines, but I find myself using it most frequently in my skincare routine. People live and die by this stuff, but I’m not desperate enough to spend $10 on a small bottle. Especially since it’s so easy to make at home.

Fortunately, I’m thrifty and was able to make over 3 bottles for the same price. Love me a good deal, and especially when the DIY version is stupidly easy.

What are the benefits of rose water?

• helps balance the pH of skin
  • soothes skin irritation
  • reduces redness (has anti-inflammatory properties!)
  • may reduce fine lines and wrinkles

[source]

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.

How to Use Rose Water

Now for some of the ways I like to use this homemade rosewater in my skincare routine:

1. Skin Toner – by and far this is the #1 way I like to use it. Apple cider vinegar can also be a great skin toner, but let’s be real rosewater smells so much better and is just as effective.

2. In the bath – I’ll add about a cup to my bath water for extra hydration and relaxation from the scent.

3. Natural Perfume– we’ll get into the discussion of conventional perfume another day, but let’s just say you are far better off sticking to this natural version.

4. Face refresher/Make-up setter – Spray this on your face when you’re at your 3:00 PM slump…it works.

These are just a few of the many ways you can use rosewater. Now that I’ve hacked a super easy and cheap version for you, I challenge you to go out and experiment! But if you air on the side of caution, try my DIY Rose Water Face Toner. I promise you will be in love (roses included).

How To Make Rose Water

Learn all of the benefits of Rose Water, including a step-by-step tutorial on how to make rosewater! Not only will you learn how to make homemade rosewater, but you’ll get a DIY Rosewater Face Toner recipe too!

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 1.5 litres 1x
  • Category: Skincare
  • Method: Boil

Scale

For the Homemade Rosewater:

• Organic Roses (as many as you like-I used 7 stems)
  • Distilled water (enough to cover the rose petals- I used about 1.5 litres)

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner:

For the Homemade Rosewater:

1. Remove petals from stems and run them under luke-warm water to remove any leftover residue.
  2. Add petals to a large pot and top with enough distilled water to just cover (no more or you’ll dilute your rosewater).
  3. over medium-low heat bring the water to a simmer and cover.
  4. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until petals have lost their color and are a pale pink.
  5. Strain the mixture to separate the petals from the water.
  6. Discard petals and place water in a glass jar to store.

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner:

1. Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake.
  2. To apply: spray directly on face or spray a cotton pad and wipe face to remove any residue.

*Note: Using 7 stems makes around 1.5 litres of rosewater. This seems like a lot but it keeps for a long time in the fridge. Just store in a sealed, glass container until ready to use.

Keywords: rosewater, rose water, homemade rosewater, diy rosewater, rose water, how to make rose water

Like this post? Here are a few others you might enjoy:

Bambi
    February 22, 2020 at 12:56 pm

I used this recipe but I heated the water and rose petals on the stove to boiling, then simmered for 20 min. Then I strained and sealed in hot jars, like with canning any other type of thing. The color turned out to be a bold red. Lovely! I anticipate that this process would aid in a long shelf life.

Jenoline Janvi
    February 17, 2020 at 12:53 am

Thanks For The Recipe. Rose water is the best skin care agent. Best DIY

Hilary Zeller
    February 15, 2020 at 6:12 pm

I made some but it grew mould very quickly. Does yours ever get mouldy? How can I prevent this?

Elizabeth
      June 1, 2020 at 7:18 pm

You can add a 1-2 Tbs of vodka depending on the amount you are making -About a tsp for every 12 oz (0.45 kg).- while you are simmering the rose water. Right around 10 minutes before you are done simmering it, or after 7-10 minutes of stove time. Don’t over boil as the roses will lose their effectiveness. Simmer until the smell of the vodka is gone. I say vodka because regular isopropyl alcohol will just strip the roses of their flavor and smell. I use vodka (just the cheapest bottom shelf is perfect actually) because, one it tends to bring out the flavor just a bit more than without it, and two, it kills any germs that may have slipped into your water/jar and that straight boiling can sometimes miss. Its clear, strong and flavorless and yet while remaining effective it’s not so strong as to change the properties of the flower itself. Also, roses are a natural, but mild anti-biotic and astringent so it may be that your container had contaminates in it. Its always good practice for any DIY projects such as this to boil all your containers including lids and any gaskets or sprayers for fifteen minutes, of course after you’ve washed them (even if you just took them out of the dishwasher), and then leave on a freshly laundered towel to dry. Be careful not to burn yourself or drop and break any glass. They will be hot even if the water seems to have cooled off (you shouldn’t leave them in there after you’ve boiled them for that long anyway). Sometimes there are even little pockets of near boiling water in the crevices of your containers. I learned from personal experience. Nice zen interruption if anything. Use good gripping tongs or a thick BBQ skewer that you can stick in the opening to lift the container out of the hot water easily and safely. When the water cools it can collect new germs fairly soon as lukewarm is a haven for those things. So if you don’t remove them to dry fairly quickly you might want to reboil them for another fifteen minutes. If you do make your rose water the way I have defined, your rose water can last airtight shelved for a good couple years. Once opened one should refrigerate the capped or otherwise in closed rosewater for up to 12-16 wk’s. Or 3-4 months If you don’t have the time space or capacity for all of that, and your sill receiving mold then perhaps you missed something like rinsing the petals or maybe its just collected pollen. If you don’t completely sterilize it’s absolutely imperative to refrigerate the rose water to 40deg F. or below when you are not using it.

Cristin Arnold
    January 10, 2020 at 9:01 pm

They wouldn’t burn after and probably fall apart…try rose essential oils

Michele Yost
    January 4, 2020 at 3:43 pm

I have used a combo of rose water and witch hazel. I have not seen any recommendations for this use. Is it not a good idea?

Elizabeth
      June 1, 2020 at 7:28 pm

It’s a great idea actually. This makes the best toner. White or yellow roses would probably work best there, Red for cooking, wine, or drinking water. Use a combination of them all for healing salves. Unless you happen to come across an extra smelly yellow one, then that’s the one to use for any of the things you can do with a rose.

Liz
    November 2, 2019 at 4:22 pm

I already have rose petal powder. Can I do the same thing using the powder and bringing it to boil with distilled water?

Davida Lederle
      November 4, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Unfortunately I’m not certain as I’ve never tried it with dried powder!

Vahid
    October 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Hey thank you. Absolutely loved your videos! But actually rose water can be purchased from any persian grocer for cheap. Yeah, persians use it for everything since time immemorial.

Still I can definitely see the benefits of diy.

Davida Lederle
      October 14, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Absolutely! It can be purchased premade although some people don’t have access to stores where you can buy it! Glad you enjoyed the video!

Vasu
    September 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Hi!
    \I got organic roses and after making the rose water as instructed, mine turned out to be a light brown like tea. Not pink. Do you think its still usable?

Davida Lederle
      September 19, 2019 at 9:42 pm

Absolutely! Just a difference in the roses. Still useable. Enjoy!

Debra
    September 14, 2019 at 10:14 am

My rose water has some debris in it. It’s been about 3 weeks give or take that i’ve had it. I’ve put it in the fridge but i mostly keep it outside. It still SMELLS like roses but what are those debris particles floating about it. Do you have any clue? I can’t find it anywhere online! D:

Elizabeth
      June 1, 2020 at 7:35 pm

Most likely pollen particles, straining through a cheese cloth should fix that. It will smell like roses all the way up until the day it’s not good anymore. It won’t smell bad per se, but it won’t smell like a rose either. The rose itself is a mild anti-biotic FYI. 😉 <3

Elizabeth
        June 1, 2020 at 7:51 pm

I should say, it won’t smell bad at first, but right away you will notice the rose smell is weak or gone. Then I assume it must get to bad smell at some point. I never kept a jar past no smell point myself. I have had one jar, but I made it thick and for a muscle salve, so I kept the petals stems and leafs soaking intentionally. It never actually made it to the salve, however, after straining it, I did use it periodically with a face mask, and that jar lasted on the bathroom shelf non the less, in a conservative estimate, a good year or more. Im thinking about 1 1/2yr. I actually lost track. Then one day the smell was gone, so I just left it alone. Within a week from there I could see mold, so I just threw it away – jar and all.

fast news
    August 24, 2019 at 1:43 am

Thanks for the recipe, rose water is so useful for the face, be sure to use it!

Mayra
    August 18, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Can I drink the rosewater?

Cherie
    August 1, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I would be leery of using an aluminum pot because of the toxicity of aluminum. Stainless steel or glass would be better.

1 5 6 7 8 9 10