brownies dessert gluten-free

Healthy Chickpea Blondies

September 16, 2016

Healthy Chickpea Blondies made from everybody’s favourite bean! They’re gluten-free, high in protein and sweetened with maple syrup. No one will guess that they’re made from chickpeas!

Healthy Chickpea Blondies made from everybody's favourite bean! They're gluten-free, high in protein and sweetened with maple syrup. No one will guess that they're made from chickpeas!Isn’t it funny how things may change and yet they also feel exactly the same? Things like fall nostalgia and me still hiding chickpeas in baked goods 3 years later…

Or like my annual declaration of “The blog is changing! Thanks for understanding!” that seems to happen every year in August/September? Man I’m like a broken record. See here, here and here for proof.

And yet everything has changed all at the same time. The seasons, the blog, ME. I’m all like “guys I’m more than just a food blogger!” and then all I want to do is bake and post recipes.

This recipe for Healthy Chickpea Blondies was created 100% for me, which is exactly how it was 3 years ago when I started the blog. I just wanted to experiment in my own kitchen and see what happened. Of course I’m thrilled that people actually read and make what I share, but I’m learning that unless I’m making myself happy first, what I’m doing will not be sustainable. I know…what a novel concept!

Fortunately for you, it means all the baked goods, because we all know my first love is baking. Thank you for tolerating my yearly identity crisis. I baked you blondies to show my appreciation!

Healthy Chickpea Blondies

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

• 1 19 oz can chickpeas*
  • 1/4 cup nut butter
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
  • Coconut oil, for greasing pan.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
  3. In a food processor combine chickpeas, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
  4. Add in oats, baking soda, sea salt and egg. Process until batter comes together smoothly. Should take 1-2 mins.
  5. Stir in chocolate chunks (or chips).
  6. Spread batter into baking pan, ensuring that top is flat.
  7. Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown around the edges.
  8. Let cool for 20 mins before cutting into 12 blondies and removing from pan.
  9. Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.

Notes

*This comes out to 2 cups. If you can't find a 19 oz can, measure out 2 cups from 2 14 oz cans.

Lee
    September 16, 2016 at 7:46 am

I feel like Frank would LOVE THESE.
    Lee recently posted…Staying Connected Abroad with Verizon + MotoZ Yoga Sculpt Event Recap

Giselle Rochford
    September 16, 2016 at 9:14 am

haha girllll I’m neck deep in an identity crisis at any given time so I feel ya. I’m also definitely feeling these blondies 😍
    Giselle Rochford recently posted…Rosemary Garlic Roasted Chickpeas

Danielle
    September 16, 2016 at 9:08 pm

These look delicious! And that is also hilarious you have a blog identity crisis the same time every year. I’ve totally noticed that too… every couple of months (when things get less busy and I have more time to think!) I start to have a crisis if I’m living in the right spot, really enjoying my job, etc. Usually it passes pretty quickly! Or I just find another adventure to undertake 😉
    Danielle recently posted…15 healthy restaurants to try in Vancouver

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday
    September 16, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I’m quite familiar with the feeling of identity/blog identity crises. 😛 Not always fun, but hey, baking is great and blondies are delicious, so I’d say there are worse things 🙂
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five Friday Favorites 09/16/16

September 19, 2016 at 9:45 am

I totally agree! If my latest identity crisis resulted in these blondies, life ain’t so bad!

Ashley N Hovey
    September 17, 2016 at 4:31 pm

lol you crack me up. I’m in it for the long haul so you just keep changing away and I’ll be right there with ya! <3
    These blondies look super amazing btw.
    Ashley N Hovey recently posted…Paleo Chocolate Bark with Grain-Free Granola [ giveaway!! ]

The Wooden Spoon
    September 19, 2016 at 11:15 am

Oh man. This has been on my to-do list forever. You just gave me extra motivation!

Victoria
    September 19, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Will be trying these ASAP! I love your authenticity on the blog….if you were not changing the blog than it wouldn’t be a good representation of you. Anyways, the best kind of people are those that are constantly evolving!
    Victoria recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday

September 25, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Thank you, love! That is one of the best perspectives I’ve heard on change. So appreciate it!

Mary
    September 20, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I’m glad you had the time and inspiration to get in the kitchen and mess around and share the result– good old blog basics are the best sometimes. And I haven’t yet made chickpea blondies so I’m putting this one into my Pinterest recipes to try!
    Mary recently posted…Chocolate Banana Nutella Smoothie

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    September 28, 2016 at 10:44 am

Love that these are made with chickpeas (aren’t they some kind of magic beans? I mean they are delicious in hummus, in Buddha bowls, as crunchy snacks. To this day I haven’t eaten anything with them I didn’t love, so I can’t wait to try your combination of nut butter and chocolate for a delicious and healthy dessert. Yes, you keep saying you are changing, but weirdly I must be changing right along with you, because I never feel left off or not connecting with your ideas 100 %. Love you just the way you are! 🙂 <3
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake (Gluten and Refined Sugar-free)

Carol Floyd
    September 30, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Do you rinse the chickpeas?

Nancy
    September 30, 2016 at 11:04 pm

My family is allergic to eggs. Do you know what egg substitute would work best here?

Natalie
    October 9, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Hi Davida!

Can I use a high power blender instead of a food processor? I’m so hungry for these blondes!

October 10, 2016 at 11:52 am

yup! You should be okay! May need to blend a bit longer to get it smooth but it should still be fine 🙂

Amy
    October 12, 2016 at 10:59 am

I’ve made these twice this week….amazing! Any idea on the nutritional info? Or is there an app I can plug in the recipe to and get the info?

October 12, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have the info but try plugging it in to a site like myfitnesspal. Thanks!!

fay
    October 16, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Hi

Thank you for posting this recipe. I just have a quick question..do i remove the skins from the chickpeas before processing? Thanks. Ps: your choc peanut butter energy balls are a staple in my fridge! I love them!

October 17, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Aw so happy to hear that! No need to remove the skins. Lots of good fiber in there 🙂 Enjoy!!

fay
    October 20, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Okay great! Thanks..will definitely make this recipe this weekend 🙂 Do you have a cool chickpea fudge recipe please? I did a search on your site but couldn’t seem to find one..or maybe I just missed it somehow..

Nancy Hart
    November 6, 2016 at 9:38 am

Could I just use chick pea flour instead of the canned ones? For me, that way I don’t have to make a trip to the store, which takes over a half hour to get to here. 🙂

Erica
    November 15, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I made these and I’m so disappointed! They turned out so dry and flavorless. Was in it supposed to drain the chickpeas? I think they definitely needed more sweetener (coconut sugar?). Had to throw out the whole pan. 🙁

November 16, 2016 at 11:14 am

Yes you’re supposed to drain and rinse the chickpeas. The recipe is certainly sweet enough for me but I’m pretty acclimated to non-refined sugars. I’d recommend adding more next time if you’re used to more sugar.

AMY
    March 28, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Would extra rice or oat flour work in place of nut butter ? We cant do any nuts …

Elizabeth
    April 13, 2017 at 12:33 am

do you suppose i could use white choc or macadamia nuts? Not a fan if choc chips/chunks. Love chickpeas