balls/bites gluten-free paleo raw snacks trending vegan

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

March 30, 2021

Want the taste of a  sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, in a small snack-sized ball? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn’t skimp on the flavor!

Do you have certain foods that remind you of certain moments or phases in your life? Maybe it’s because I’m a foodie but I have distinct memories when it comes to food! Fresh biscuits will always remind me of our honeymoon, smoothie bowls bring me back to Grand Cayman and blueberry muffins will forever remind me of college.

At the time, I wasn’t doing much of my own cooking or recipe creation so I was a regular visitor of Starbucks to get my blueberry muffin fix. I wish I had this recipe back then because these energy balls are so dang delicious (and easy for college dorm dwellers to make)! This is another one of those, “throw everything into the food processor and you’re good to go” kind of recipes. No need to fuss around with the oven, or a list of 15 ingredients.

Since this recipe makes quite a few, they’re perfect to make ahead for quick on-the-go breakfast and snacks. Store them in your fridge or freezer until you’re ready to enjoy.

Blueberry Muffin Energy Ball Ingredients

• Mixed nuts – I prefer cashews and almonds but you can use any combination!
  • Dried Blueberries – I can’t even tell you how many people have asked if you can use fresh blueberries… dried is best for this recipe, sorry! – see note below.
  • Medjool Dates – one of my favorite natural sweeteners.
  • Vanilla – vanilla extract works great but you can also use fresh vanilla if you’re fancy.
  • Lemon zest – don’t skimp on this. It really does add a ton of flavor!

You also need a food processor. I’m obsessed with my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor and highly recommend it! Don’t attempt to make this in your high-powered blender… I don’t want to be responsible for any broken blenders.

Where to Buy Dried Blueberries

These blueberry muffin energy balls require one very special ingredient: dried blueberries. Please do not use either fresh blueberries or freeze-dried blueberries. Here is where to find dried blueberries:

• Trader Joe’s – They carry dried wild blueberries in the dried fruit + nut section for a very decent price
  • Bulk Barn – for my Canadian friends! They are a bit pricey but Bulk Barn does carry them
  • Amazon – quite a few options on Amazon – I like these ones.

How to Make Homemade Energy Balls

STEP 1: Add nuts to your food processor and process until they are pea-sized.

STEP 2: Combine nuts with dates and dried blueberries and process until all ingredients have broken down and are a bit sticky.

STEP 3: Add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract and salt and  process until all ingredients have broken down to form 1 large sticky ball – about 5 minutes. You may need to scrape the sides down and break up the ball a few times before all bits have broken down.

STEP 4: Roll into small balls and enjoy!

How to Store Energy Balls

These snacks are perfect for meal prep because they store extremely well! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Highly doubt they’ll last that long though!

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 15 minutes
  • Yield: 20-25 balls (depending on size) 1x
  • Category: Snack
  • Method: Blend
  • Diet: Vegan

Scale

1. Add nuts to food processor. Process until nuts are pea-sized.
  2. Combine nuts with dates and dried blueberries and process until all ingredients have broken down and are a bit sticky – about 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add in vanilla extract, lemon zest + salt.
  4. Process until all ingredients have broken down and form into one sticky ball – you may need to scrape down sides every minute. This should take 3-5 minutes of processing.
  5. Roll into small balls and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for several months.

*NOTE: your mixture may feel a bit greasy while rolling it into balls – this is normal! It is just the natural oils being released from the nuts.

**I LOVE my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor!

Keywords: blueberry muffin energy balls, energy balls, energy bites, blueberry energy balls, blueberry energy bites

Like this post? Here are more energy ball recipes to try:

Dan
    May 20, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hello Davida. My name is Dan and I am a founder of Easy Fast Recipes website. Many thanks for this lovely Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls recipe! Simple and affordable ingredients, easy to follow step by step instructions. This is yummy easy fast recipe and it’s surely going into my bookmark list.
    Keep up the good work. I am looking forward for more easy food recipes in the future.
    You are welcome to visit my website >> http://easyfastrecipes365.com. Easy Fast Recipes for Healthy Lifestyle & Fitness. Cheers and have a great day!

Jennifer
    May 17, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Is there any way to use frozen blueberries instead of dried?

May 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

unfortunately no 🙁 You need the stickiness of dried blueberries so fresh or frozen won’t work!

Yari
        May 20, 2015 at 9:57 am

Can you recommend a substitute for the nuts, my son is allergic. Also I don’t care for dates so I’m going to sub with figs.

Ayngelina
    February 11, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Amazing idea, I can’t wait to try them out!

Mirza
    October 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I think I would use them like my post workout snack couse I think that protein slow down the absorbtion of protein,thats why I am afraid to use them for preworkout snack.I like that you can make them for about 10 minutes and they are gluten free.But I might add more dates as I like food with sweeter taste 😉

Dr oz green coffee
    February 12, 2014 at 12:15 am

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a
    blog article or vice-versa? My site covers a lot of the same
    topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an
    email. I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog
    by the way!

Feel free to surf to my web site … Dr oz green coffee

Carol
    July 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I’ve been meaning to make these for awhile, and finally did. VERY tasty! They might be my new favorite snack.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’m so happy to hear you made them! Glad you enjoyed 🙂 They are certainly a staple in my kitchen!

Herryponting
    June 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

I have read repeatedly that Magnesium Malate may significantly reduce pain in people with Fibromyalgia by increasing muscle efficiency.
    Thompson Magnesium Malate

Miachel @ Spiced Curiosity
    June 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Mmm, these sound delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    May 30, 2013 at 1:26 am

Blueberry muffins…how I miss those! I look forward to trying these! Thanks so much for sharing them at Raw Foods Thursdays. Pinning them on the RFT board! Hope to see you back tomorrow!!

Heather

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for hosting us heather! I’m back this week with a recipe for maple pumpkin seed butter cups. Thanks for pinning these too! Always grateful 🙂

Sandra
    May 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

oooh… I have a feeling these will become my new favourite energy bites, too!
    Great combo – I love blueberries!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm

so yummy! I try to use organic dried blueberries without added sugar to keep them healthier. They are ridiculously expensive but I think it’s worth it!

the3commandments
    May 24, 2013 at 3:16 am

Can’t wait to give these a try! Sounds like that healthy energy snack I’ve been looking for!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:51 pm

seriously kelly these are goooooood. I have a bunch in my freezer that i’m willing to share….if you come hang out with me 🙂

Alexandria
        December 7, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Do you have to put sea salt in these or will they be okay if i leave the salt out?

RBarclay
    May 23, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Love Starbucks’ pumpkin loaf in the fall with a chai latte…Time to come up with a G-Free recipe for that one!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

So good! A gluten-free pumpkin loaf can definitely happen 🙂

Sierra
        February 6, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Do you happen to know the protein, fat and carbs per ball or so?

SMcGreg
        February 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing, do you have approximate nutrition info? Calories, Proteins, Carbs… Thanks 🙂

1 2 3 5