balls/bites gluten-free paleo raw snacks trending vegan

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

March 30, 2021

Want the taste of a  sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, in a small snack-sized ball? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn’t skimp on the flavor!

Do you have certain foods that remind you of certain moments or phases in your life? Maybe it’s because I’m a foodie but I have distinct memories when it comes to food! Fresh biscuits will always remind me of our honeymoon, smoothie bowls bring me back to Grand Cayman and blueberry muffins will forever remind me of college.

At the time, I wasn’t doing much of my own cooking or recipe creation so I was a regular visitor of Starbucks to get my blueberry muffin fix. I wish I had this recipe back then because these energy balls are so dang delicious (and easy for college dorm dwellers to make)! This is another one of those, “throw everything into the food processor and you’re good to go” kind of recipes. No need to fuss around with the oven, or a list of 15 ingredients.

Since this recipe makes quite a few, they’re perfect to make ahead for quick on-the-go breakfast and snacks. Store them in your fridge or freezer until you’re ready to enjoy.

Blueberry Muffin Energy Ball Ingredients

• Mixed nuts – I prefer cashews and almonds but you can use any combination!
  • Dried Blueberries – I can’t even tell you how many people have asked if you can use fresh blueberries… dried is best for this recipe, sorry! – see note below.
  • Medjool Dates – one of my favorite natural sweeteners.
  • Vanilla – vanilla extract works great but you can also use fresh vanilla if you’re fancy.
  • Lemon zest – don’t skimp on this. It really does add a ton of flavor!

You also need a food processor. I’m obsessed with my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor and highly recommend it! Don’t attempt to make this in your high-powered blender… I don’t want to be responsible for any broken blenders.

Where to Buy Dried Blueberries

These blueberry muffin energy balls require one very special ingredient: dried blueberries. Please do not use either fresh blueberries or freeze-dried blueberries. Here is where to find dried blueberries:

• Trader Joe’s – They carry dried wild blueberries in the dried fruit + nut section for a very decent price
  • Bulk Barn – for my Canadian friends! They are a bit pricey but Bulk Barn does carry them
  • Amazon – quite a few options on Amazon – I like these ones.

How to Make Homemade Energy Balls

STEP 1: Add nuts to your food processor and process until they are pea-sized.

STEP 2: Combine nuts with dates and dried blueberries and process until all ingredients have broken down and are a bit sticky.

STEP 3: Add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract and salt and  process until all ingredients have broken down to form 1 large sticky ball – about 5 minutes. You may need to scrape the sides down and break up the ball a few times before all bits have broken down.

STEP 4: Roll into small balls and enjoy!

How to Store Energy Balls

These snacks are perfect for meal prep because they store extremely well! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Highly doubt they’ll last that long though!

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 15 minutes
  • Yield: 20-25 balls (depending on size) 1x
  • Category: Snack
  • Method: Blend
  • Diet: Vegan

Scale

1. Add nuts to food processor. Process until nuts are pea-sized.
  2. Combine nuts with dates and dried blueberries and process until all ingredients have broken down and are a bit sticky – about 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add in vanilla extract, lemon zest + salt.
  4. Process until all ingredients have broken down and form into one sticky ball – you may need to scrape down sides every minute. This should take 3-5 minutes of processing.
  5. Roll into small balls and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for several months.

*NOTE: your mixture may feel a bit greasy while rolling it into balls – this is normal! It is just the natural oils being released from the nuts.

**I LOVE my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor!

Keywords: blueberry muffin energy balls, energy balls, energy bites, blueberry energy balls, blueberry energy bites

Like this post? Here are more energy ball recipes to try:

Roshani Khanna
    September 3, 2016 at 8:07 am

Mmmmmm…..yum. This looks totally amazing. I’m just starring at the screen looking at how delicious they look. My mouth is watering.

Sarah Jane
    August 19, 2016 at 11:50 am

I made these for the 1st time yesterday because my husband and I are trying to clean up our eating habits! I was able to make them in my Vitamix, even though the stickiness required a little more elbow grease on my part. (I’m a New Yorker, so we have to streamline our kitchen appliances. haha!)

Because of that, I left them a bit chunkier, and they turned out great! My husband says they are “amazing.”

Looks like Energy Balls are going to be a new staple snack in our home. Thank you!

Rebecca
    August 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

These were delicious and very easy to make. I used one cup salted cashews and one cup raw almonds but everything else was the same. Everyone who has tasted them has loved them.

Megan
    March 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Hi! These look delicious! What are your thoughts on adding fresh blueberries instead of dried? Do you think it would change the consistency?

Julie Trudeau
    March 10, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Hi! Love your energy balls!
    Just wondering, when you write 1T blackstrap molasses, what does the T stand for?
    English is not my first language 😉

Thx

Anita
    March 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I just made these, subbing the blueberries with half raisins half cranberries. Also I used some toasted walnuts and subbed in ground almonds as I’m saving my almonds to make almond butter! I haven’t had one yet, but I licked all the mixture from my hands and utensils and it is DELISH! Great recipe @thehealthymaven! What is a maven?!

Pauline
    December 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

These sound great, but I can’t eat dates. What can I use as a substitute for them, please?

The Healthy Maven
      December 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Are you okay with dried figs? They’re usually an easy substitute!

Jennifer
    December 14, 2015 at 10:44 pm

OMG these are amazing! I can’t wait to try some of the other ball/energy bite recipes on your blog 🙂

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 8:45 am

Aw you’re too sweet! My fave recipe on the blog! Followed by every other energy ball recipes 😉

Terrell
    October 15, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Like you I love cranberry orange muffins we have them at work and every time I see one I grab them I have been recently switching to the Paleo diet and found your recipe for blueberry muffin bites and I made them they’re wonderful but still my craving for the orange cranberry muffins out way the blueberry muffins so I altered your recipe a bit I used cranberries instead of blueberries and an orange instead of a lemon and boy it turned out just as wonderful as the blueberry muffin bites thank you for posting your recipe my family is enjoying all of the yummy goodies I am making

October 18, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Those sound fabulous! I’m glad you were able to make the changes you needed to get the perfect result. I love when you guys share stories like these 🙂 Enjoy your new recipe! It sounds delish!

Donna
    September 7, 2015 at 5:42 am

I decided to make these as a healthy snack for my friend’s birthday party and despite the initial hesitation, everyone absolutely loved them! They looked a but different from the ones in your pictures though but they tasted great anyway. Thanks for sharing!
    Donna

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)
    July 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I’m a huge nut ball fan! I make a batch every week for my husband and I to snack on throughout the work week. These were so delicious. I loved the addition of lemon zest. I’ll definitely be making these again in the future.

July 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Awesome 🙂 I’m so happy you enjoyed them. They’re probably my favourite snack ever!

Ian Delaney
        March 8, 2017 at 9:48 am

These sticky blue balls are yummy. Had some for breakfast. Trader Joe’s was the only store I could find dried blueberries. I would just add “unpitted” to the dates in the recipe. I didn’t notice and bought pitted dates the first time. Quizinart process nearly died on them….ooopsie

Page
    June 2, 2015 at 3:45 pm

these look wonderful! I would love to make some for my sister (she’s going to bonito soon and I’m supplying snacks;) also she loves blueberries!) but would they be ok at room temp for a few days? I store my dates and dried fruit in the pantry so I thought they would be safe..

Page
      June 2, 2015 at 3:47 pm

(Sorry for the autocorrect..) **bonaroo
      Haha
      Thanks!

June 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Totally safe! And awesome for bonaroo. They’ve been music festival tested in the past!

1 2 3 4 5