Looking for a super simple breakfast to feed a crowd? This Easy Vegetarian Egg Bake is perfect for your next breakfast potluck or brunch date. Customize the recipe with your favorite veggies, and bake for a delicious breakfast meal.
I genuinely believe that behind every blogger, there is a carton of eggs waiting to be demolished. And not for recipe development or cake baking or whatever the recipe du jour, but for every other meal where the last thing you want to do is be innovative in the kitchen.
I’ve yet to meet a blogger (unless they’re vegan or egg-free) who doesn’t admit to eating a ton of eggs on a daily basis. Today alone we went through 9…NINE…eggs in my house. With two people. How is that even possible?
Needless to say, I’ve tested my egg casserole skills and this vegetarian egg bake is my go-to for any breakfast gathering or potluck! It looks fancy but it actually takes 10 mins to make and has been a hit every time.
Ingredients in Vegetarian Egg Bake
The ingredient list is full of pantry staples so you can whip this up for a quick and simple breakfast casserole recipe:
- large eggs – I like a high quality egg (you’ll notice the difference!) from a local farm or even Vital Farms.
- onion – yellow or white onions.
- bell pepper – I like red bell pepper but you can use yellow, orange or even green.
- cherry tomatoes – grape or even chopped roma tomatoes will work.
- kale -destemmed and chopped. You could also use spinach or chard.
- cheese – you can skip this to keep it dairy free.
- milk – I prefer using regular milk with my eggs but dairy-free works great too.
- salt and pepper
How to Make An Easy Egg Bake [Full Instructions Below]
STEP 1: Sauté your onion in a large skillet with oil until the onion is translucent. Add in the bell pepper and cook for another minute.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl, crack your eggs and whisk well. Whisk in the milk and then stir in the sauteed onion and bell peppers as well as the tomatoes, kale, cheese (if using), salt and pepper.
STEP 3: Add the egg mixture to a greased casserole dish (use butter, olive oil or cooking spray) and bake in oven at 400ºF for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before digging in!
What to Serve With Vegetarian Egg Bake
This egg bake is a meal in one but if you’re looking for some sides or pairing suggestions, I’ve got you covered.
- Fruit salad
- Crispy roasted potatoes
- Simple kale salad
- Yogurt + granola
- Baked oatmeal
- Coffee, tea and/or mimosas!
–> FAQs: Your Breakfast Casserole Questions Answered.
Can you prep this vegetarian egg bake in advance? Absolutely! You could prep the entire dish and store the unbaked casserole in the fridge overnight. Bake first thing when you wake up in the morning.
Can you freeze this easy egg bake? Yes! You can prep this vegetarian breakfast casserole in advance and then cover with tin foil and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven the next morning. You could also remove a slice and head in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Can you save leftovers? Yes! This easy veggie egg bake will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just cover your dish with plastic wrap or remove leftovers and place in a tupperware container. In the morning just reheat your piece in the microwave for roughly 30 seconds.
Can you use different vegetables? Absolutely! You can swap in different veggies including mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower or whatever you have on hand. Just add to the onions and cook through before adding to eggs and baking.
What size baking dish do I need? For this vegetarian breakfast casserole you’ll want to use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish or casserole pan.
Can I swap in different cheese? Yes! I like feta in this vegetarian egg bake but you could also use different types of cheese including cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
Can I add animal protein? Yes! While this easy egg bake is vegetarian you could add another source of animal protein (besides egg) before baking. You could add cooked shredded chicken or ground sausage to eggs before baking. Bacon or other sources of ham add delicious flavor as well.
More Breakfast Potluck Ideas
Generally any type of breakfast casserole is sure to please a crowd at your breakfast potluck. Here are a few ideas if this vegetarian egg bake doesn’t float your boat:
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Caramelized Onion, Broccoli and Spinach Frittata
- Apple Cinnamon Granola – pair with yogurt!
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal
Easy Veggie Egg Bake
Looking for a super simple breakfast to feed a crowd? This Easy Veggie Egg Bake is perfect for your next breakfast potluck or brunch date. Customize the recipe with your favorite veggies, and bake for a delicious breakfast meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 12 large eggs
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or two large tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheese (I use feta)
- 1 cup milk*
- salt + pepper, to taste
- olive oil or butter
- Grease a large casserole pan with oil or butter.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add oil to a pan and stir in onion. Cook until translucent (about 3 mins)
- Add in bell pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- Add in milk and stir.
- Add in cooked onion and bell peppers, tomatoes, kale, cheese and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add mixture to casserole pan and bake for 30 mins or until cooked all the way through.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting in.
*I prefer to use regular milk with my eggs, however non-dairy milk can be substituted. Cheese can also be omitted for a dairy-free meal.
Keywords: egg bake, egg casserole, veggie egg bake, vegetarian egg bake, breakfast casserole, vegetarian breakfast casserole, easy egg bake
Like this post? Here are more egg recipes to try:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!