A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.
I mean we all knew the day would come. The signs were all there. Natural beauty routine, apple cider vinegar EVERYWHERE, so it was due time I embrace my inner hippie and jump into the world of Natural Deodorant. I feel alive!!!!
Two years ago if you asked me if I would ever use natural deodorant I would have without a doubt laughed in your face. I’m judgmental like that. But now here I am, not only admitting to using it but also encouraging you to do the same. Oh how times have changed.
I pretty much summed up my thoughts on natural beauty in this post and also shared some of my favourite homemade products in this post but in a nutshell I truly believe that what we put on our body should be equally as important as what we put in it.
Now before you stop reading and think I’ve totally lost my mind, hear me out. I’m not sitting at home braiding my armpit hair and reading my crystals. I am a 21st century hippie. I believe in western medicine and think that obsessing over the cleanliness of your food and body/home products is about as healthy as taking a bath in a sugar-paraben cocktail. But as a former natural beauty-judger I urge you to at least have more of an open mind to somewhat alternative products.
Be conscious and read labels. Make choices that are reasonable and work in your life. I have extra time and a small budget so making my own deodorant is realistic. If you’re on the go all the time, try purchasing a more natural deodorant (I like this one!) or if you’re working with a smaller budget (natural products tend to be more expensive), pick and choose what you can make yourself. If you can’t do it all, that’s okay. Even one small change is worth it.
My journey with natural beauty products started slowly. First I switched to a natural hair routine, followed by skin, home and then deodorant. I still use some conventional home products and regular toothpaste and mouthwash. One day I’ll get there but for now I’m happy with the changes I’ve made.
That being said, one of the easiest DIY products to make for your body is definitely this natural deodorant so if you’re open to it, give it a shot! Not only is it simple to make, it also lasts forever (budget friendly) and it totally and completely works. You won’t smell and it is a surprisingly good antiperspirant too. So let’s make the world a little less smelly and chemical-free too!
Serves: 1 3 ounce jar (will last between 4-6 months)
- Place coconut oil and shea butter in a glass bowl or jar and place the bowl/jar inside a medium sauce pan.
- Add water to the saucepan (enough to surround bowl/jar but not to overflow it) and bring to a boil.
- As water is heating up, ensure to stir coconut oil and shea butter and continue to do so until it melts.
- Once melted, add in arrowroot starch, baking soda and essential oils.
- Place in a 3 ounce jar and allow to cool at room temp or in fridge (will harden faster in fridge) until it's reached a solid state.
- Cover with lid until use.
- Wet underarms slightly (this helps with even application)
- Spoon out a pea-sized amount with a wooden scoop or with fingers and rub between fingers before applying directly to underarms.
- For a regular day, one application in the morning should be fine. For hotter days, workouts or if you're particularly sweaty, feel free to reapply as needed.
**Note: Your underarms may require an adjustment period depending upon how sensitive your skin is. Start by using 1-2 days a week and slowly increase. I went cold-turkey before my trip to Costa Rica and my armpits hated me. Now I’m all good but I wish I hadn’t changed up my routine so quickly while I was basically sweating on the equator.
Do you think I’ve totally lost my mind? On a scale of one to natural deodorant, how hippie are you?
LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.