bath and body

DIY Natural Deodorant…That Actually Works!

July 10, 2015

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.Omg I am officially THAT girl.

I mean we all knew the day would come. The signs were all there. Natural beauty routine, apple cider vinegar EVERYWHERE, so it was due time I embrace my inner hippie and jump into the world of Natural Deodorant. I feel alive!!!!

Two years ago if you asked me if I would ever use natural deodorant I would have without a doubt laughed in your face. I’m judgmental like that. But now here I am, not only admitting to using it but also encouraging you to do the same. Oh how times have changed.

I pretty much summed up my thoughts on natural beauty in this post and also shared some of my favourite homemade products in this post but in a nutshell I truly believe that what we put on our body should be equally as important as what we put in it.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.Now before you stop reading and think I’ve totally lost my mind, hear me out. I’m not sitting at home braiding my armpit hair and reading my crystals. I am a 21st century hippie. I believe in western medicine and think that obsessing over the cleanliness of your food and body/home products is about as healthy as taking a bath in a sugar-paraben cocktail. But as a former natural beauty-judger I urge you to at least have more of an open mind to somewhat alternative products.

Be conscious and read labels. Make choices that are reasonable and work in your life. I have extra time and a small budget so making my own deodorant is realistic. If you’re on the go all the time, try purchasing a more natural deodorant (I like this one!) or if you’re working with a smaller budget (natural products tend to be more expensive), pick and choose what you can make yourself. If you can’t do it all, that’s okay. Even one small change is worth it.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.My journey with natural beauty products started slowly. First I switched to a natural hair routine, followed by skin, home and then deodorant. I still use some conventional home products and regular toothpaste and mouthwash. One day I’ll get there but for now I’m happy with the changes I’ve made.

That being said, one of the easiest DIY products to make for your body is definitely this natural deodorant so if you’re open to it, give it a shot! Not only is it simple to make, it also lasts forever (budget friendly) and it totally and completely works. You won’t smell and it is a surprisingly good antiperspirant too. So let’s make the world a little less smelly and chemical-free too!

DIY Natural Deodorant…That Actually Works!

Cook Time 10 mins

1. Place coconut oil and shea butter in a glass bowl or jar and place the bowl/jar inside a medium sauce pan.
  2. Add water to the saucepan (enough to surround bowl/jar but not to overflow it) and bring to a boil.
  3. As water is heating up, ensure to stir coconut oil and shea butter and continue to do so until it melts.
  4. Once melted, add in arrowroot starch, baking soda and essential oils.
  5. Place in a 3 ounce jar and allow to cool at room temp or in fridge (will harden faster in fridge) until it's reached a solid state.
  6. Cover with lid until use.

Directions for use:

1. Wet underarms slightly (this helps with even application)
  2. Spoon out a pea-sized amount with a wooden scoop or with fingers and rub between fingers before applying directly to underarms.
  3. For a regular day, one application in the morning should be fine. For hotter days, workouts or if you're particularly sweaty, feel free to reapply as needed.

Notes

*Certain people are sensitive to tea tree oil so be sure to test your skin with a drop before adding to mixture. It is not necessary to include but tea tree is antibacterial and it is the bacteria in your underarms that leads to smell so it is a nice addition if you are not sensitive.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.**Note: Your underarms may require an adjustment period depending upon how sensitive your skin is. Start by using 1-2 days a week and slowly increase. I went cold-turkey before my trip to Costa Rica and my armpits hated me. Now I’m all good but I wish I hadn’t changed up my routine so quickly while I was basically sweating on the equator.

Do you think I’ve totally lost my mind? On a scale of one to natural deodorant, how hippie are you?

LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}
    July 10, 2015 at 6:31 am

I was actually the opposite and switched to natural deodorant first. I have tried just about every single brand you can imagine, with Primal Pit Paste being the only kind that works for me. It was getting pricey, so I tried to make my own, but that was an absolute failure. I’m kind of afraid to try again. I’m totally with you on the keeping it natural, though. 🙂
    Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted…No Bake Granola Bars

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    July 10, 2015 at 6:57 am

Welcome to the cleaner and greener side Davida! 🙂

Just like Maryea, I also started with using natural deodorants and am very happy with them. Though I tended to sweat a lot in the older days when I used toxic deos, nowadays I’m surprised to see how well these natural concoctions take care of it and no smell at all (or rather a clean and fresh scent throughout the day)! So kudos, I love such DIY recipes 🙂
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Red White and Blue Berry Yoghurt

Catherine
    July 10, 2015 at 7:40 am

This sounds really moisturicing too! I’ve recently switched to a natural brand of deodorant, but have been interested in making my own if I could. I may have to try this one out!

Cat
    July 10, 2015 at 8:08 am

Is it weird that I looked at the pics and thought ‘mmm bet that tastes good’…?

Yeah, that’s weird. But I can attest it works! I use a similar combo but with bicarb, and no one has ever complained about my scent 😉
    Cat recently posted…5 Foodie Documentaries You Need To See

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    July 10, 2015 at 9:26 am

I’ve been waiting for this post!!! SHEA BUTTER… ORDERED! Done. Doing it.
    Lexi @ Lexi’s Clean Kitchen recently posted…Potato Pesto Breakfast Skillet

Laura B
    July 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I went crazy hippie like 2 years ago and made my own toothpaste! pretty sure my breath was horrible during that year. I have kind of reverted since then, but still try and keep all my products as natural as possible. Coconut oil=my best friend. I will try making this though, it’s been on my list of DIY things to make!

Consuelo | Honey & Figs
    July 10, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Yessssss!!! I couldn’t believe how cool this post was when I first saw it on Insta! I’ve been looking for a nice natural option for months now and I’m so glad I’ve found it! SO trying this tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes for sure. Thanks for sharing girl! x
    Consuelo | Honey & Figs recently posted…Rainbow Summer Fruit Smoothie Bowl

July 10, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Looks great! My armpits need a lil’ love anyways!
    Cassie recently posted…I’m Related to Hitler?!

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    July 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm

This is awesome!!! I’ve tried store bought natural deodorants without much luck – plus they’re kind of expensive. I can’t wait to try this.
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Gluten-Free Banana Belgian Waffles

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    July 11, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Into this, big time. I’m always looking for ways to natural things up in the beauty department and deodorant can be tricky! Can’t wait to try this version!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Simple Summer Salad Rolls

Ingrid
    July 12, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I’ve made and used this deoderant off and on for a couple of years. I like it, but I have to wear black tee shirts for work all summer and by the end of the summer they have noticeable stains under the arms. Any ideas on getting rid of the stains?

July 19, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Unfortunately no 🙁 I’ve noticed this with both natural and conventional deodorants and have just written it off as a part of life. If you find a solution I’d love to hear it!

sarah
        August 1, 2015 at 10:26 am

I’d try dish detergent to remove t staining or go the outta the box an maybe dip the whole shirt into oil an wash normally. That is if the shirt doesn’t have a logo that would get wrecked by doing this.

Dee
    December 28, 2015 at 11:40 am

I’ve always wanted to make my own natural deodorant! Do you think I could swap out shea butter for cocoa butter since where I’m at does not have shea butter?

The Healthy Maven
      December 30, 2015 at 8:08 am

I haven’t tried it myself but I would imagine it would be just fine!

Tere Iglesias
    April 27, 2016 at 8:59 am

Hello,

I had already made homemade deodorant and I have been using it since the summer, I love it!! I made it with corn starch so when I saw your recipe I thought I might try out this one that included shea butter in it! I did it yesterday and it works perfectly, the only question I had is do you by any chance know why mine has a brownish color instead of a white one? The one I used to do was white and then when I switched to bio cornstarch it was yellow (as the cornstarch had that color) but with that one I thought it would be white (I mean shea butter and arrowroot are not totally white but I dont get the brown color).
    Not that it changes anything to the benefits, but I would like to make it for some friends, and the colour might discourage them…
    Thank you! 🙂

April 27, 2016 at 9:19 am

Hi Tere, Glad you like it! I’m not certain why it would have a brownish color? Perhaps your shea butter is more on the brownish side? Mine always turns out white or slightly off-white but never brown. I wish I could be more helpful!

Tere Iglesias
        May 5, 2016 at 6:10 am

Thank you for your answer 🙂 Yeah I am not certain either but it works so that is what matters I guess 😀

Sue
    May 18, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Hello! I just made some with a different recipe that called for beeswax and I’m having a bit of trouble applying it. But it works!
    I’m going to try your recipe, thanks! The older I get the more natural I’m going 🙂
    Sue

May 19, 2016 at 11:53 am

Me too haha! Hope this one is more successful for you!!

Winter
    May 20, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this. Have been gradually transitioning to natural over the last year. Love PPP, but was not enjoying ordering a new jar every 6 weeks! This works just perfect for me. I’m so grateful. It even worked odor wise for my husband, but his pits reacted to the baking soda and turned fiery red 🙁 I’ve tried three other recipes for him, and they just didn’t cut it. I even tried using them when my first batch of this ran out, but I returned to my stinky old self. Still haven’t worked out a recipe for him, but, anyway–I love this recipe…has boosted my confidence and saved my wardrobe 🙂 Thanks again!

Tania Trottier
    May 27, 2016 at 6:44 am

I tried this last night and left it out to cool at room temperature. This morning when I woke up the oils had separated. Anyone ever come across this and can it be fixed?

May 27, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I’ve never had that happen! I do find that when I make it in the summer I need to let it cool in the fridge to harden. Try mixing it and placing it back in the fridge to set!

Cleanser Blog
    June 5, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Due Deodorant By Laura

[…] o tea tree oil so be sure to test your skin with a drop before adding to mixture […]

July 31, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Are there other flours you can use besides arrowroot?

Jess
    August 22, 2016 at 10:42 am

I’ve made two batches of this, one with less baking soda. The first I mixed by hand, the second with a hand mixer. With both batches, I’ve had a problem with the soda mixing in uniformly. So I will hit a patch of deodorant with more soda, and because it’s abrasive, I get red marks where my shirt had rubbed against the deodorant. Any suggestions for fixing this on the next batch?

August 23, 2016 at 11:14 am

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear this! Are your oils totally melted before you mix in the baking soda? I’ve never had mine become too abrasive. You may also be sensitive to baking soda, which is quite common. Try omitting it, which will of course make it slightly less effective but we don’t want you getting inflamed skin!

Jess
        August 24, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Yes, the oils have been totally melted. It’s odd that I can use it for a while and be fine, then other times I can feel that the deodorant is rougher when I apply it, like it’s just not mixed evenly. The next batch I will cut back even more on the baking soda then. Thanks.

Jenny
    November 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Where do you get your cute little wooden scoops?!

marshall
    December 14, 2016 at 7:27 pm

what are some scents that are more masculine that can be used?

Izzy
    February 19, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Can I put the mixture into an old deodorant tube and use it that way, or do I have to scoop it out and apply it?

Thanks!

February 19, 2017 at 1:55 pm

I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve been wanting to. It sort of depends on the temperature around you. If you live in a warmer climate, it might be tough but if it’s cooler it should hold its shape. Let me know if it works out!

Izzy
        February 27, 2017 at 11:57 pm

So i poured it into an old Secret deodorant tube and it’s working well! I do keep it in the fridge because after applying, the top layer gets a little melty. Not too bad, but enough that I’d prefer it in the fridge.

February 28, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Thanks so much, lovely! I’m making another batch tonight and will try it in an old deodorant tube!

Manon
    March 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Hi!!
    This recipe looks pretty awesome, do you think the consistency of it would work fine in a deodorant mold? Like a bigger chapstick container..? 🙂 if so, I’m totally making it asap! Got all of the ingredients

March 7, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I tried it out last week and yes, you certainly can put it in a mould but I find application is a lot stickier since the heat melts it pretty quickly. It’s much easier to apply and distribute using your hands, but it’s up to you!

Elisabeth
    April 21, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Great deodorant recipe! I switched to DIY deo last year and use a recipe similar to this! I love it, don’t think I will ever go back! I can’t wait to check out more of your blog! Thanks!

Kenya G. Johnson
    April 28, 2017 at 4:52 pm

May I ask where you found the little spatula’s?
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…Got Pits?

Elisabeth G.
    May 3, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Do you have to use the lavender oil in the mix? I am highly sensitive and want to try this recipe.

Sherwood
    September 13, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Just made some of this last night. I bought shea butter a while back in anticipation of this and was finally in need. I used the heat venting from the oven while I baked a potato to melt the oil and butter, and the process was pretty simple (if messy). My skin is ridiculously sensitive, the last deodorant I made with I think this amount of baking soda causing irritation and eventually sores after extended use. I’m hoping the shea butter prevents this now. So far so good, but time will tell. Thanks for sharing!

Erika
    September 19, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Hi love natural deodorants and have found that I’m off and on senstive to baking soda but arrowroot seems to be ok so I can’t wait to try this. Wondering if you’ve experienced staining issues with the coconut oil when you sweat? I ruined quite a few shirts when I first went natural thanks to how oily it is. Thanks!