best of

Best of THM 2013

December 27, 2013

It’s hard to believe that 2013 is coming to an end. This year has been a whirlwind for me both personally and professionally. I started a blog, I quit a job, I ditched the plan and embraced the change. Somewhere in between I baked and cooked up a storm, learned new ways to move my body and ate a copious amount of breakfast food. As the year draws to a close I thought it might be fun to recap the highlights through food. Based on my analytics here are your favourite recipes from 2013!

most popular recipegrain-free banana pancakesGrain-Free Banana Protein Pancakesbest of snackssnacks1. Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips
2. Apple Pie Bites
3. No-Bake Mint Chocolate Protein Bars

best of dessertdessert1. Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars
2. Raw Oreos
3. Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies

best of breakfastbreakfast1. Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes
2. Overnight Chocolate Cherry “PrOats”
3. Vegan & Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chai French Toast

best of mains

mains1. Lightened-Up Shrimp Pad Thai
2. Sweet Potato & Mushroom Veggie Burgers
3. Mexican Fiesta Bowl

best of salads and sidessalads and sides1. Dairy-Free Cauliflower Gratin
2. Cauliflower Tabbouleh
3. Lentil & Sweet Potato Salad

best of THMHere’s to many more recipes in 2014!

Do you have a favourite recipe from 2013? What foods are you looking forward to exploring in 2014?

December 27, 2013 at 7:33 am

So much yum. You know what’s sad? I don’t think I posted one savoury recipe in 2013 😆 Everything was either a dessert or snack. So yeah… definitely going to be looking into exploring more meals in 2014…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #58 .

kathy@vodka and soda
    December 27, 2013 at 7:34 am

everything you posted was amazing – that food! if only i could be a warlock like you in the kitchen. i’m looking forward to BBM2014 when i can finally try everything you posted on here 😀

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodka and soda recently posted…Holiday Recap 2013

December 27, 2013 at 8:48 am

I would have to say my favorite recipe of 2013 was figuring out how to make grain-free pancakes. Life changing. I also made these epic black bean spinach brownies that I winged and didn’t write down the recipe that were amazing. Still kicking myself over that.

And kicking myself that I’m leaving tonight because I have SO MANY LEFTOVER MASHED SWEET POTATOES and want to make your brownies!!
    Cassie recently posted…Eggnog Overnight Oats

December 30, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Maybe the sweet potatoes will keep?!?! I have so many in the house too! Roasted them to eat on the train while I make my way to Montreal tomorrow!!! Wahoooo

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    December 27, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’m so happy I discovered your blog!!!
    I really need to make this apple chips!!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Date night craft idea, Prayers, & we found out the gender!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 27, 2013 at 9:34 am

Okkkkk now you’re just showing off 😉 Those recipes all look so delish! 2013 really was a great year for you–I can only imagine how pumped you must be to see what 2014 has in store!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…These Are My [Holiday] Confessions

December 27, 2013 at 9:38 am

Looks like a pretty delicious year over here 😉 now, off to check out that mint chocolate protein bar recipe…
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Atticus says…

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

So many great recipes, so little time. Still trying to get around to making a bunch of these!
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Ab Training Plan 2.0 Giveaway!

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 27, 2013 at 11:02 am

Since I just started following your blog Ill have to check these recipes out! Everything looks amazing! I wish I was a better (read: more willing) cook! 🙂
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…On the Mend

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 27, 2013 at 11:57 am

I have to say you’re one of the best of the bloggers, in my opinion. I can’t believe you only started this blog in 2013! It’s amazing, Davida. I can’t wait to continue reading and eating along with you. In 2014 I am going to take cooking more seriously. I am making it a big goal to learn more about recipe creation, how spices go together, etc.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…I Had Myself A Merry Little Christmas

December 30, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Ang you’re too sweet!!!! Thank you SO much. And I’m so happy I discovered your blog. I’m in awe at your positivity so keep on blogging. One day we will meet and I cannot wait for it 🙂

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition
    December 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Davida all your recipes rock!! 😉 But you’re right- those pancakes= heaven, and definitely deserve the Most Popular title 🙂 Happy Holidays!
    Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted…Apple, Sweet Potato, and Pecan Salad

Em @ Love A Latte
    December 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

What a great recap! I am so looking forward to exploring new recipes in 2014. I got lots of vegan cookbooks for Christmas and can’t wait to jump in. I’m tired of the same meals I tend to rotate through. I’m pretty much in love with pancakes right now haha! Have a great weekend 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Happy Holidays

cait @pieceofcait
    December 27, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I love everything you share! keep it coming girl 🙂

December 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm

This has been a busy year in the kitchen for you! Everything looks so delicious – I have a feeling I’ll be whipping up a few of these recipes soon. 😉
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Christmas 2013

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    December 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I really want to try those sweet potato brownies!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Beating the Post-Christmas Blues

December 27, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Beautiful, my love! I can’t believe I started a blog AND made such a wonderful friend through doing it, all in 2013! So happy that it happened. You’re amazing, as are all of these delish recipes! Mwah.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…How to Make the Best Cinnamon Rolls

December 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm

You’re amazing! One of the best parts about blogging was meeting incredible people like you. So lucky to have you in my life <3

Mitchell
    December 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wow, thank you so much for this recap! Firstly, I had no idea you’d only been blogging since this year – you’re a total pro 😛

The pancakes really are amazing, and so simple 🙂 But I’d cast my vote for favourite recipe as the Thai Turkey Burgers. They’re just amazing, and the peanut sauce … please don’t start me on the sauce, again.

I’ve just been reading through your posts about over-planning and following your passion. Honestly, you could have been following me around for the last few months and then written about it. I am currently in exactly the same position, and it is causing such inner conflict between doing ‘the right thing’ and trusting that what you’re doing is ‘the right thing’. I hope that the coming year will be much better, and that I won’t be observing life, rather, participating in it.

And I certainly hope that next year will contain many more fabulous recipes 😀
    Here is to a New Year and fresh start Davida!
    Mitchell recently posted…Marvelous (Merry?) In My Mondays

Kierston @candyfit
    December 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Pass me a napkin….I’m drooling!

Yes to embracing change xo

Happy holidays!
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…Unwrapping The Holiday FUn and #RECIPEFRIDAY….

Carla
    December 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I’m now so hungry I can’t stand it. If you’re looking for something to do you can come to my house in STL and cook for me. I can pay you in gratitude and visits to The Arch. Possibly the zoo when the food is extra good.

Congrats on such a wonderful year!
    Carla recently posted…Coffee Sugar Exfoliating Body Scrub from Zoe Natural Creations

December 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm

In such a short time span, THM has developed into something truly amazing- and I can’t wait to see what 2014 entails in the kitchen.

Just FYI- the pancake recipe started the addiction. Of the good kind.

Y.A.A.M.F. (Try and work that out ;))
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Festive Truffles- Three ways

December 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I have no idea…TELL ME TELL ME.

Also thanks boo! You’ve basically turned into a blogging sensation in the last 6 months. Celeb status!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    December 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Davs, this list is FAB! Those pancakes are calling my name; I’m going to try them with flax!!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: So Much Gratitude

December 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’ve tried making them with vegan protein but didn’t have much success 🙁 Let me know if you master them because I would LOVE a vegan version!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    December 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Everything looks so good! Such a fun idea for a post too. I might have to be a copycat and do the same 🙂 Although I don’t think I’ve posted as many delicious recipes as you have!
    Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Our first Christmas in our new home 🙂

December 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

You definitely had a great 2013 and it seems like 2014 is going to start with some big-time changes and events!!! So exciting!
    Kim recently posted…Standing Makes Me Happy!

Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy
    December 27, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Wow, everything looks so yummy. You are amazing! I definitely want to try those Cinnamon Apple crisps….love it!
    Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy recently posted…We Had a Wonderful Christmas!

Amanda
    December 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hmmm… sweet potato brownies… interesting. My man has a huuuuuge sweet tooth and is going to start trying to eat cleaner and sweets will be the hardest thing for him. I’ll have to show him this!
    Amanda recently posted…See Ya Later, Christmas

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    December 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm

You had sooooo many delicious looking recipes! I REALLY want to give that lentil sweet potato salad a try…pinning now. I love the way that you shared this roundup.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Christmas Scenes 2013

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    December 27, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I’ll take one of each! Especially those cinnamon roll pancakes… that might be breakfast!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…3 Ingredient Coconut Macaroons

sharsti@sugarplumrunner
    December 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Wow, I just found your blog and this is the best post to find ha I’m drooling at all the yummy food, I’ll def have to come back to this post on my baking days!

Brittany
    December 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

These all look SO GOOD! I am loving the pumpkin chai french toast photo with the leaves!! SO fall festive. AHH I MISS FALL!
    Brittany recently posted…10 Minute Fudge Pie

December 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

Peppermint Mocha pancakes!
    Cassie recently posted…Favorite Lessons of 2013 #9

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    December 28, 2013 at 12:20 pm

HOLY SHIT!!! Those salted caramel apple crumb bars!!! GAAAAAAAAH!!!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…The Great Christmas Recap!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    December 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Remind me where you live again, so I can book a ticket to come see you and you can FEED ME COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF DELICIOUSNESS?!?!?!?!?! And all I can offer in return are my cookies, LOL!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Gluten-Free: Not You Too Santa!

Lisa @ The Skinny on Health
    December 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Yummm!!! Your sweet potato brownies are my absolute favorite of your recipes I’ve tried!!! Can’t wait to try more in 2014! 😉

xx
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health recently posted…5 Steps to Start your 2014 Diet

KAT
    December 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Good lord woman there is a lot of YUM going on in this post! I may or may not have just bookmarked two… or five.
    KAT recently posted…Gingerbread Cookies

Emily @smilemilegirl
    December 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

All of your recipes look divine! Your pictures are gorgeous (: I am always looking for new breakfast ideas and I love that yours are protein packed.
    Emily @smilemilegirl recently posted…That confused, emotional post

December 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thank you! Went through a phase when I was protein obsessed and many MANY protein-filled breakfast come out of that 😉

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    December 29, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I NEED to try that pumpkin chai french toast!!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…A Box Full of Tiffany Jewelry

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    December 30, 2013 at 7:50 am

*licks the screen* So much deliciousness in a post… I want to eat it all! x
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…{Makeover Mondays} Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu

Link Love | Smile Mile Girl
    December 30, 2013 at 8:35 am

[…] of food, The Healthy Maven recently did a round-up of her best recipes of the year. I pinned a few of them already. Davida has […]

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    December 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I love reading these posts. It’s a great refresher for all of the amazing recipes that still have yet to be made! And ones that I missed- like those veggie burgers. Nom.

I’m so excited to watch you continue to grow next year!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Top Ten Recipes of 2013

Luv What You Do
    December 31, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I just went and pinned a bunch of those recipes!!!
    Looks like a tasty and sucessful year indeed!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Posole and Posts

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    January 2, 2014 at 1:41 pm

ugghhh that lentil and sweet potato salad is my all time fav!!! If only you magically appeared in my kitchen every time I made it though!
    Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…New Years Resolutions I wish other people would make

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    January 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

You hit the nail on the head with this “best of” post. You definitely made the right choice leaving your job. Food is obviously your passion and it comes through loud and clear. Good for you and best wishes in 2014!!

And BTW I think you’ve unofficially nominated yourself to executive chef of BBM2014. The rest of us will make amazing sommerliers 🙂
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…I resolve to stop procrastinating