Clean Beauty Wellness

DIY Natural Deodorant…That Actually Works!

July 10, 2015

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant recipe will quickly become a staple in your body routine.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.Omg I am officially THAT girl.

I mean we all knew the day would come. The signs were all there. Natural beauty routine, apple cider vinegar EVERYWHERE, so it was due time I embrace my inner hippie and jump into the world of Natural Deodorant. I feel alive!!!!

Two years ago if you asked me if I would ever use natural deodorant I would have without a doubt laughed in your face. I’m judgmental like that. But now here I am, not only admitting to using it but also encouraging you to do the same. Oh how times have changed.

I pretty much summed up my thoughts on natural beauty in this post and also shared some of my favourite homemade products in this post but in a nutshell I truly believe that what we put on our body should be equally as important as what we put in it. And this includes homemade deodorant.

Why Try This Natural Deodorant Recipe

Now before you stop reading and think I’ve totally lost my mind, hear me out. I’m not sitting at home braiding my armpit hair and praying to my crystals (…yet). I am a 21st century hippie. I believe in western medicine and think that obsessing over the cleanliness of your food and body/home products is about as healthy as taking a bath in a sugar-paraben cocktail. But as a former natural beauty-judger I urge you to at least have more of an open mind to somewhat alternative products.

Be conscious and read labels. Make choices that are reasonable and work in your life. I have extra time and a small budget so making my own homemade deodorant is realistic. If you’re on the go all the time, try purchasing a more natural deodorant (I like this one!) or if you’re working with a smaller budget (natural products tend to be more expensive), pick and choose what you can make yourself. If you can’t do it all, that’s okay. Even one small change is worth it.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.My journey with natural beauty products started slowly. First I switched to a natural hair routine, followed by skin, home and then deodorant. I still use some conventional home products and regular toothpaste (holding strong on this one!). One day I’ll get there but for now I’m happy with the changes I’ve made.

That being said, one of the easiest DIY products to make for your body is definitely this homemade deodorant so if you’re open to it, give it a shot! Not only is it simple to make, it also lasts forever (budget friendly) and it totally and completely works. You won’t smell and it is a surprisingly good antiperspirant too. So let’s make the world a little less smelly and chemical-free too!

DIY Natural Deodorant…That Actually Works!

• Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: 1 3 ounce jar (will last between 4-6 months) 1x

Scale

1. Place coconut oil and shea butter in a glass bowl or jar and place the bowl/jar inside a medium sauce pan.
  2. Add water to the saucepan (enough to surround bowl/jar but not to overflow it) and bring to a boil.
  3. As water is heating up, ensure to stir coconut oil and shea butter and continue to do so until it melts.
  4. Once melted, add in arrowroot starch, baking soda and essential oils.
  5. Place in a 3 ounce jar and allow to cool at room temp or in fridge (will harden faster in fridge) until it’s reached a solid state.
  6. Cover with lid until use.

Directions for use:

1. Wet underarms slightly (this helps with even application)
  2. Spoon out a pea-sized amount with a wooden scoop or with fingers and rub between fingers before applying directly to underarms.
  3. For a regular day, one application in the morning should be fine. For hotter days, workouts or if you’re particularly sweaty, feel free to reapply as needed.

*Certain people are sensitive to tea tree oil so be sure to test your skin with a drop before adding to mixture. It is not necessary to include but tea tree is antibacterial and it is the bacteria in your underarms that leads to smell so it is a nice addition if you are not sensitive.

A simple DIY Natural Deodorant recipe that smells amazing and works too! Made with clean, all-natural ingredients and ready in under 10 minutes, this natural deodorant will quickly become a staple in your body routine.**Note: Your underarms may require an adjustment period depending upon how sensitive your skin is. Start by using this DIY Natural Deodorant  1-2 days a week and slowly increase. I went cold-turkey before my trip to Costa Rica and my armpits hated me. Now I’m all good but I wish I hadn’t changed up my routine so quickly while I was basically sweating on the equator.

LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.

Dee
    December 28, 2015 at 11:40 am

I’ve always wanted to make my own natural deodorant! Do you think I could swap out shea butter for cocoa butter since where I’m at does not have shea butter?

The Healthy Maven
      December 30, 2015 at 8:08 am

I haven’t tried it myself but I would imagine it would be just fine!

Ingrid
    July 12, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I’ve made and used this deoderant off and on for a couple of years. I like it, but I have to wear black tee shirts for work all summer and by the end of the summer they have noticeable stains under the arms. Any ideas on getting rid of the stains?

July 19, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Unfortunately no 🙁 I’ve noticed this with both natural and conventional deodorants and have just written it off as a part of life. If you find a solution I’d love to hear it!

sarah
        August 1, 2015 at 10:26 am

I’d try dish detergent to remove t staining or go the outta the box an maybe dip the whole shirt into oil an wash normally. That is if the shirt doesn’t have a logo that would get wrecked by doing this.

Rebecca
      August 16, 2018 at 9:07 am

Hey, I just made some to a different recipe and it used bentonite clay (fullers earth) instead of arrowroot which makes the deo like a browny colour so obvs not good for white tops but better for dark ones. I’m going to make some to this recipe for my white top days!

Bx

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    July 11, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Into this, big time. I’m always looking for ways to natural things up in the beauty department and deodorant can be tricky! Can’t wait to try this version!

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    July 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm

This is awesome!!! I’ve tried store bought natural deodorants without much luck – plus they’re kind of expensive. I can’t wait to try this.

July 10, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Looks great! My armpits need a lil’ love anyways!

Consuelo | Honey & Figs
    July 10, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Yessssss!!! I couldn’t believe how cool this post was when I first saw it on Insta! I’ve been looking for a nice natural option for months now and I’m so glad I’ve found it! SO trying this tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes for sure. Thanks for sharing girl! x

Laura B
    July 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I went crazy hippie like 2 years ago and made my own toothpaste! pretty sure my breath was horrible during that year. I have kind of reverted since then, but still try and keep all my products as natural as possible. Coconut oil=my best friend. I will try making this though, it’s been on my list of DIY things to make!

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    July 10, 2015 at 9:26 am

I’ve been waiting for this post!!! SHEA BUTTER… ORDERED! Done. Doing it.

Cat
    July 10, 2015 at 8:08 am

Is it weird that I looked at the pics and thought ‘mmm bet that tastes good’…?

Yeah, that’s weird. But I can attest it works! I use a similar combo but with bicarb, and no one has ever complained about my scent 😉

Miriam
      September 26, 2020 at 4:30 am

I love this recipe! Made it once and it turned out great. Made it yesterday, perhaps didn’t follow quantities exactly, I put in a bit of extra corn starch because DH said it should have a firmer texture and I thought that might do it
      Texture is perfect. BUT Now it’s making my armpits itch. What gives? Do I just need to adjust gradually as you mention above? The first batch didn’t cause me any itching at all. Thanks! Love this! Both for the natural ingredients and that now I can avoidt buying yet another plastic item…..

Catherine
    July 10, 2015 at 7:40 am

This sounds really moisturicing too! I’ve recently switched to a natural brand of deodorant, but have been interested in making my own if I could. I may have to try this one out!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    July 10, 2015 at 6:57 am

Welcome to the cleaner and greener side Davida! 🙂

Just like Maryea, I also started with using natural deodorants and am very happy with them. Though I tended to sweat a lot in the older days when I used toxic deos, nowadays I’m surprised to see how well these natural concoctions take care of it and no smell at all (or rather a clean and fresh scent throughout the day)! So kudos, I love such DIY recipes 🙂

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}
    July 10, 2015 at 6:31 am

I was actually the opposite and switched to natural deodorant first. I have tried just about every single brand you can imagine, with Primal Pit Paste being the only kind that works for me. It was getting pricey, so I tried to make my own, but that was an absolute failure. I’m kind of afraid to try again. I’m totally with you on the keeping it natural, though. 🙂

Callie
      August 4, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I have tried nearly every type of homemade deodorant and finally found one that works perfectly called Granny’s Natural Deodorant.

Tanessa Burch
      July 28, 2020 at 8:00 pm

for some odd reason, my deodorant is not thickening up. I have tried adding more arrowroot but it’s still soft and liquid. any suggestions

Davida Lederle
        July 28, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Place it in the fridge! Could just be too hot in your house. Also make sure you used regular coconut oil and not fractionated coconut oil which never firms up.

1 2 3 10